The Indian e-commerce business is on an upward trajectory and is likely to grow much faster in upcoming years. Moreover, due to the lockdown and fear of going out in 2020, people are much more used to online shopping than ever before.
Indian e-commerce sales rose ~7-8% in 2020. It is expected to surpass the United States by 2034. As of 2019, online sales in India accounted for 1.6% of total retail sales. This shows how fast these online marketplaces are gaining popularity among customers.
With all this number growing at a significant rate, more and more sellers have started to prefer online business or have added e-commerce as their selling platform. Due to the increase in the number of sellers, customers have many sellers from all over the country to shop from. This has made it difficult for individual sellers to attract customers’ attention.
However, with some online selling tips, you can make sure you reach your targeted audience.
Here are some proven tips on how to sell products online:
1. Choose platform wisely: Analysing your customer behaviour will tell you where to start your e-commerce journey. This means which platform would be best suitable for the product or service you offer. Many platforms offer all kinds of products but some only offer specific categories from all. Try to find out which platform would have the customer base that you are looking for.
2. Improve uploading quality: Pay attention to the images and descriptions you put with your product while uploading it on any platform. Make sure to upload a clear and high-quality image of your product. A good-quality image will put your customer’s focus on the product you are offering. Tell your customers about the product you are offering in brief but ensure to convey as many details as possible. Describe its usage, quality, the material used, unique selling point, and maintenance tips.
3. Make use of paid ads: Any e-commerce platform offers paid ads option to appear above in search results than your competitors. It is a well-known fact that it is better to catch your customers' attention just when they begin to look at search results. If they see your products first, there are high chances that they will purchase yours rather than scroll further down. Further, paid ads option where e-commerce platforms will display your ads to customers looking for similar products you offer.
4. Address customer reviews: It is important to assess what your existing customers say about your product and services. Most people read product reviews before buying any product online. This does not mean delete negative comments and keep only positive ones. Rather, try to solve your customers' issues with a humble tone and don’t take negative comments personally. Solving customers' issues will make them trust you and have you on their good list to buy from in the future.
5. Keep bestsellers on your websites: In case you have your website under your brand’s name, ensure you offer bestsellers on your website more than on any other selling platform. It will direct your customer’s focus in particular to your brand rather than searching on so many e-commerce sites such as Flipkart, Amazon, and eBay. Selling on your website will also save you the seller charges such e-commerce sites take from you. This will earn you a better profit margin.
6. Use keywords: Keywords are just not for SEO for your website. Including the right keyword that best describes your product and matches the search of the customer will make your product come up organically. Keywords work the same way as website SEO. While listing your product include such keywords to your product description and title. This will ensure that your product will be seen by customers looking for what you are offering to them.
7. Strategise your pricing according to e-commerce: Every platform has a different seller charge they take from anyone who sells their product on their website. This will affect the profitability of your business. Thus, you need to keep your product’s price according to the platform you are selling it on. Moreover, this also goes for your product. You need to watch which product would suit which site more and put more of that product on a suitable platform.
8. Quality matters: Always prefer quality over anything else. Don’t ruin your brands’ reputation for a small profit margin or to reduce the product’s price so you could get more orders. Always remember that a brand can sustain itself in the long term only when they prioritise quality. Any individual would not hesitate to pay a few extra bucks if they are getting a quality product.
9. Reach out through social media: For any brand selling their products online on their website or an e-commerce platform, social media is a great alternative platform for you to reach your customers and direct them to your website or product. Almost 50% of social media users have been reported to have bought something after seeing its ad on social media. This way, you can also increase the customer base for your brand.
10. Have patience: Growing your products' e-commerce demand will require your consistent efforts and patience. You will not start getting big orders in just a few days, It requires time and effort in the right direction. Sooner or later, an e-commerce platform will prove its use to help you grow your business and will give you fruitful results.
1) Things You Should Consider if Starting a Business During Lockdown
2) 10 Things to Check Before Starting an E-commerce Website
3) How to Answer the Phone Professionally at your Business?
4) How a Good Market Research Can Give You a Steady Start?
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more!
Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles.
OkCredit is 100% Made in India.
Q. How can I register my brand on an e-commerce website?
Ans. The process of registering your brand on e-commerce sites is simple. However, the whole process and proof requirements differ from platform to platform. Some basic proofs you would need are address proof, owner identity proof, business registration number, your terms and conditions, bank details, product approvals (if needed), product details, return policy, etc.
Q. How will I receive payments for my orders?
Ans. You will receive payment through online mode directly to your account which you have entered while registering. The payment cycle for every e-commerce site differs and you will receive payment collectively as per their payment cycle. In the case of your website, you would need to add third-party payment options like- Paytm, razor payment links, etc.
Q. How does return/exchange work on e-commerce platforms?
Ans. Return and exchange policy will work as you and e-commerce have agreed. In case of any return or exchange of order, the delivery guy will receive the order from the customer and return it to you. This works just like any other order.
Q. What products can I sell online?
Ans. E-commerce websites like Amazon offer to sell almost everything on their platform like- clothes, books, groceries, electronic devices, machines, tools, etc. However, not every site offers its platform for any product. You need to look for websites that allow products you want to sell and which suits you the best.
Q. How will e-commerce help grow my business?
Ans. Any e-commerce platform offers you a vast customer base that is not only from your city but also from the whole country. This will take your local business to a country level. These websites have much more ability to reach customers of different parts of the country with easy delivery and payment methods.
Q. How to choose an e-commerce platform for my business?
Ans. Look for these points while choosing e-commerce for your business:
- Easy shop setup
- Secure and easy to navigate
- A platform that most of your customers would visit to shop
- Platform with many payment options
- Whose policy you agree with
- Checkout terms and conditions and return policy
- Check the payment cycle, etc.