This article will cover in detail the topic of how to change name in PAN card. PAN stands for Permanent Account Number and is one of the most important IDs issued to an Indian citizen by the tax department. The card has a unique 10 digit alphanumeric identifier that is used for identity and tax purposes. PAN Card is a strong identity proof for Indian citizens. Sometimes there are instances where you may need to change the name on the PAN card. The process is pretty easy, and this can be done through online or offline methods. This article will cover the steps you need to follow to change the name on your PAN card.
The online method to correct or change your name on PAN Card
- First, open any browser and navigate to the NSDL website. Follow this link to open the website.
- On the new screen that appears, select the ‘Apply online’ option. Under application type, select Correction or changes in existing PAN Data/Reprinting of PAN Card (No changes in already available PAN data).
- Below the category, choose ‘individual’ and fill in the details such as the first name, last name/surname, email, Date of Birth, citizenship, and PAN number.
- Once you have filled in all the details, go on and select information, ‘By proceeding to submit the data to us and/or using our NSDL e-Gov TIN website.’
- Now enter the captcha code and click on ‘submit’.
- After this, you will receive a message thanking you for using the services.
- Select ‘Continue with the PAN application form’, and you will be directed to the online PAN card application page.
- Follow all the instructions on this page and fill in the required details. Once you have filled in all the details and the payment is done, you will get a slip of acknowledgement. Now you have to print a copy of the slip and send it to the e-gov office of NSDL along with all the physical proof and documents.
The offline method to correcting or changing your name on PAN Card
- First, download the request for the issue of a new PAN card. You can click on this link to download the form
- After downloading the PAN form, fill in all the required details correctly and carefully.
- Next, you will have to attach your latest photograph and sign the document before submitting it.
- Now, you will need to send a demand draft in the name of NSDL along with the application to the address of the NSDL.
- In the form, make sure you have set the address to send the PAN card to you by post. Usually, within 45 days of the application, the PAN card is issued to the applicant.
Various documents required for PAN card name change
For Individuals and HUF
Fees applicable for corrections in the PAN card
To change the name on the PAN card, you will have to pay a fee. This fee is set by the Central Government and is the same if you are making corrections to an existing PAN card or if you are requesting a new PAN card.
- If the address of communication is within India, the fee to be paid is Rs 110.
- If the address of communication is outside India, the fee to be paid is Rs 1020.
Common reasons for making corrections in the name on the PAN card
- Legal change of name
- Change in surname after marriage
- Name spelt wrongly in the PAN card.
Different platforms available online
There are several platforms and websites available online if you need to change the name on the PAN card. All you need to do is type “change the name in PAN card” on Google, and you will see a number of results. The best method is to follow the processes and the platform mentioned in this article above. In addition, you can also read up on Google for further information. This will give you a solution on how to change the name in PAN card.
Does the PAN card number change after name correction?
The PAN card number cannot be changed, and holding multiple PAN cards is illegal. When you apply for a change in the name on the PAN card, only the name will be changed, and all the other information along with the PAN number remains the same. Your PAN card number is stored in the government database, and you are recognised by this identifier across all major registration and government offices.
There can be instances where you may need to change your name on the PAN card. If you are wondering how to change name in PAN card, the process has been detailed in this article. The process is easy to follow, and you can use the online or offline method to do the same. The entire process can be done through the NSDL website mentioned in this article. The process comes with a small fee and will take around 30 days to get the corrections. Overall, the process is easy to follow, keeping in mind that a PAN card is a valuable ID for anyone to have. Be very careful while filling in the details correctly when you are applying for a name change on the PAN card.
Q. Can I change or correct the name on my existing PAN card?
Ans. Yes, absolutely; you can change the name on the PAN card either online or offline. You will need to pay a fee for the same.
Q. Do I have to pay any fees for the name change on the PAN card?
Ans. Yes, there is a small fee for changing the name on the PAN card. The fee is usually Rs 110. If the address on the PAN card is outside India, the fee is Rs 1020.
Q. How long will it take to get my corrected PAN card?
Ans. Usually, it takes around 30 -45 days for the corrected PAN card to be delivered to you. This can vary based on the method of application and other circumstances.
Q. Will I have to submit any documents for the name change in the PAN card?
Ans. Yes, you will need to submit some important ID proofs and documents for the name change in the PAN card. All the documents required are mentioned in the article.
Q. Which method is easier for changing the name on the PAN card, online or offline?
Ans. The online method is obviously the easiest method to change the name on the PAN card. It is more convenient and less expensive than the offline method.
Q. Can I change the number of my PAN card?
Ans. No, you cannot. The PAN card number you have is permanent and cannot be changed. You can change the name, address, etc. But the number cannot be changed.