Table of Contents:
1. GST Search By Name
All commercial transactions in India, barring excluded items, such as petrol and liquor, are governed by the GST (Goods and Services Tax) regime. Large industrial companies to small businesses with turnovers beyond the minimum turnover slab are under the GST rule. Business firms have to follow the prescribed regulations governing the sale and purchase of products and services. Here, we focus on the significance of GST registration and checking the number by the name of the registered entity.
The current registration threshold for GST is an aggregate turnover of Rs. 20 Lakhs in a financial year (Rs. 10 Lakh in special category states, mainly the Northeastern states). So, for businesses with more than Rs. 20 Lakh turnovers, knowing the GST number is significant.
2. Check GST Number
But before we find out how to check GST numbers by name, let us go through a general perspective on GST to better understand the significance of the registered tax number. We also look at a few critical aspects of GST and the importance of the GST number for normal business operations.
GST is a tax imposed on the supply of goods and services. By character, GST is a multi-stage, destination-oriented indirect tax. In force in India from July 1 2017, GST is imposed at every stage of value addition and charged at every point of sale. Presented as a single domestic indirect tax, GST has replaced many historical central and state taxes such as central excise, service tax, entry tax, state VAT and many more.
3. Types Of GST
Under the GST regime, there are four categories to identify the different tax heads:
- CGST (Central Goods and Services Tax
- SGST (State Goods and Services Tax)
- IGST (Integrated Goods and Services Tax)
- UGST (Union Territory Goods and Services Tax)
Importance of the GST Number
- Unlike the previous tax regime of multiple registrations, a single 15-digit GST number is assigned to a registered dealer. However, one single company, or business entity, may have various registration numbers depending on the different business branches across several states. Therefore, the rule specifies state-wise registration.
- The Goods and Service Tax Identification Number, or GSTIN, is a critical requirement for businesses to avail a valid input tax credit. So, incoming and outgoing materials (purchase and sale) should have the GST number of the concerned dealers.
Advantages of Number Verification
- You can establish the authenticity of any GST number just by the name of the business entity.
- You can prevent your business from fake or fraudulent vendors.
- In case of doubt (with the reporting of the number), you can check and use the GSTIN of your customers correctly on the invoice for supplies.
- As a consumer also, you can find out if a company is charging GST genuinely (as a registered business).
The Number Format
GST is a 15-digit identification number.
** Note: to illustrate the logic, if the number of verticals of a business is ten, the 14th digit will indicate A.
The GSTIN of a taxpayer is public information, and one can verify the authenticity of a GST registration easily.
4. How to Check GST Search By Name Or PAN?
The GST number can be checked by the name or PAN of the registered dealer. Multiple websites offer an online GST number check facility.
However, it is best to check the registration details through the official GST portal (*the facility of number check by name is temporarily unavailable in this portal at present).
1. Checking by Name
- Visit the search portal.
- Type the name of the company, firm or person correctly (as per the registered name).
- Type the name of the state where the business enterprise is located (for multiple places of business in several states, separate enquiries are necessary with state name).
- Click the search button
The typical search result will show:
- The legal name of the business
- The state and date of registration
- The type of business (company, sole proprietorship or partnership)
- Nature of taxpayer – regular or composite dealer
- GSTIN status
2. Checking by PAN
- Visit the Know Your GST search portal
- Type PAN of the company (or business)
- Search for result
The result will show the GST registration details against the particular PAN. This tool helps check for the misuse of the PAN for fake GST registration. In case of fraudulent use, you can complain about the official GST portal.
With the significance of the GSTIN established, let’s take a quick look at the procedure for GST registration for the benefit of new businesses and the existing ones approaching the registration threshold turnover value.
5. Registration Process For Check GST Number
A) Log in to the GST portal
B) Provide the required information on the registration form:
- Business details
- PAN details of business
- Authorised signatory
- Authorised representative
- Principal place of business
- Additional place of business, if any
- Bank account details
- State-specific information
C) You will receive an acknowledgement (SMS / e-mail), along with a 15–digit Application Reference Number (ARN).
D) If the department requires any clarifications at the verification stage, you will get a notice.
E) After the process is over, you will receive the approval and your 15-digit GSTIN. In addition, the necessary user ID and password will also be intimated to you.
The government reviews the GST tax slabs and the operational processes periodically. The objective is to make the application of various procedures transparent and the methods friendlier. An easy to use system always leads to better compliance. With GST a crucial revenue earner, the processes (of GST) are under constant government focus for improvement.
While on the surface, GST may appear complicated to some sections of the taxpayers, but the systems are simple to use in practice. For example, the GSTIN may seem complex to look at, but once you know the underlying logic, decoding it (the number) is easy. Likewise, when you want to find out how to check GST numbers by name, a simple process can give the desired result.
|We hope our article turned out to be useful for you. For more such informative content, you can visit these linked articles as well:|
|Types Of GST||How to Pay GST Online?||Documents Required For GST Registration|
|GST on Food items||GST on Real Estate||How to Apply for GSTN?|
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more!
Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles.
OkCredit is 100% Made in India.
FAQs On GST Number By Name
Q. How to find out the GST number of my supplier for checking the genuineness?
Ans. You may avail of the facility to check the status of your supplier. However, ensure that the name is written correctly (find out from past invoices). In addition, you should indicate the state of origin (of your supplier) accurately. The address on the invoice will show the state of the source of the business.
Q. Is it necessary to display the GST number of my business in my shop?
Ans. The government rule specifies the display of the GST number of the registered dealer on the name board (or a prominent place) in the primary location of the business. In case there are additional business locations of the dealer, similar displays are necessary. In addition, GSTIN must figure prominently on all invoices.
Q. Where can I complain about a false GST number?
Ans. The portal, self-service.gstsystem.in, is created by the GST administration for lodging complaints by stakeholders.
Besides, issues or problems faced by the registered dealers/stakeholders while using the primary GST portal can also be uploaded on the self-service system and screenshots, if any, for quick redressal. The design follows a ticket number method to track the process of resolution. The portal also guides users on relevant FAQs to a self resolution of common/minor issues.