Are you a creative person who loves to interact with people?
Is communication your key strength?
Whether you speak on something or pen down your words, people find it hard to ignore you. If the answer to the above is yes, then business marketing might be the perfect career option for you. It will provide you with an excellent opportunity to utilise your talent and skills to touch the lives of thousands of people. You can either start your own business or partner with a startup or a reputed company to put wings to your dreams. This blog will walk you through some necessary steps to make your dream career in business marketing a reality.
1. Choose Your Niche
Well, marketing is a large canvas, and there are endless possibilities. You have to narrow down your area of interest and expertise. From video marketing to copywriting, the horizon is vast. It is better to be a master of one rather than being a jack of all trades. You cannot do it all. Of course, you can try your hand at different forms of marketing. However, choosing your niche positions you as an expert in a particular field.
For instance, if you are an excellent speaker and can persuade people with your words, you might be a perfect fit for video marketing or telephonic marketing. If you can create unique and compelling designs and graphics, you might be better at designing advertisement campaigns. On the other hand, if you can create magic with your pen, you can make copywriting your career option.
Whatever you are good at, choosing your niche is the first step before you proceed further.
2. Try to Understand Consumer’s Psychology
When you choose a career in business marketing, it is more about people than yourself. Human psychology is a complex subject since all humans are different. However, if you can crack the secret to understanding people, you will surely reach great heights in marketing. Don’t worry. We are not asking you to read fat psychology books. Here is how you can do it:
- You have to start seeing things from people’s perspective. So, if you are a self-centred person, you are going to have an adamant time. It is not about what you think is better. But you need to understand what is going on in the minds of people.
- Try to develop empathy and put yourself in the shoes of others.
- To convince people to purchase your goods or services, you need to tell them what they would like to hear.
- Interact, interact with more people, and read their minds. Once you develop the art of understanding people’s minds, no one can stop you from succeeding in your marketing career.
3. Take a Course in Marketing
You might have a lot of talent, creativity, and relevant skills. However, taking some guidance from an expert will not do you any harm. There are a lot of certified courses in the market. Here is how you can find the right one:
- Do a bit of research and choose the one that suits you the most.
- Make sure you verify the credentials of the trainer before taking the course from them.
Here is how training can help you:
- Getting some well-structured guidance can brush your skills further and help you to improve. You will understand your weaknesses and the ways to overcome them.
- Taking formal training might also open new horizons for you, as you will see things from a different perspective. It is not that you cannot succeed without training. However, it is always better to add an extra feather to your cap.
- Certificates don’t matter if you cannot put your theoretical knowledge to use. So, you can brush up your skills a bit with the right training to give that boost to your career in business marketing.
How do I start?
Now that you know your niche and the secrets of making a successful career in business marketing, you need to make a start. Our advice would be -
- Start with small steps by taking a course on marketing.
- Then you can join a startup and help them to make a mark in the market.
- Build your portfolio by doing an internship or a fresher job so that you learn by experience. Do as many marketing internships as possible. Certificates do matter at times.
- When you help a startup or a firm to boost its sales with your innovative ideas, it will give you the much-needed confidence.
- Ask for recommendations when someone likes your work. It will improve your chances of a better career in the future.
Business marketing is a promising field today. There is an ocean of opportunities awaiting you. You only need to have the proper mindset. It doesn’t matter whether you have a certificate from an international business school because degrees are nothing without the ability to put them to practical use.
Is Facebook Useful for Business-to-Business Marketing?
What Is The Future Of Direct Selling In India?
Top-20 small-scale businesses you should take a look at!
What is the best way to evaluate a potential startup to work at, full-time?
Q. Do I need an MBA to pursue a career in marketing?
Ans: Well, the answer is no. Having an MBA might develop some additional skills and boost your theoretical knowledge. However, it is not mandatory. You only need passion and excellent communication skills. When you build a startup, no one will check your degrees. What will matter most is your ability to sell your products and services to people. You can do some short-term digital courses on marketing from any online platform to get the necessary information and education.
Q. Can I work as a freelance marketing professional?
Ans: Yes, definitely. Freelancing is one of the most promising career options. You need not be associated with a company as a full-time employee. You can work as an independent marketing professional. These days, freelancers are in great demand as firms want to avoid the hassle of maintaining a full-time house employee.
Q. How do I gather experience?
Ans: Well, whenever you apply for a marketing job, the employer might ask you about your experience and skills. In such a case, you can try to gather experience by doing some marketing internships. However, if you can impress the employer with your skills and creativity, the experience will not be a problem.
Q. Is it possible to work virtually as a marketing professional?
Ans: The answer is a big yes. You can sit in the comfort of your home and continue with your work. What matters is not whether you dress up and go to the office but your ability to blow people’s minds with your excellent skills. If you work as a freelancer, you can easily follow a flexible work schedule according to your convenience as long as you are serious about deadlines. Gone are the days when you had to rush to the office every day to prove your efficiency. If you have the passion in you, then you can succeed by working remotely too. This allows you to connect with global customers.
Q. How much can I make with a career in business marketing?
Ans: Your income will depend on a lot of factors, including your skills, experience, and of course, the client you are working for. As a beginner, you can easily earn around Rs 4 lakhs per annum. As you gather more experience, you can earn even up to Rs 20 lakhs per annum if you are unique and can boost the business of your client.