Table of Contents:
1. Organic Products & Eco-Friendly Products
'The cookies are made with sustainable palm oil.'
'The tea was grown organically and is certified.'
'The bathroom cleaner comes in a recycled bottle.'
If you walk through a supermarket, it is hard to evade these distinct pug marks of the green revolution in consumer goods. In the fiercely competitive business, eco-friendly products are the key to attract the attention of those consumers who worry about the environment and the planet. Over the past few years, conversations around sustainability are gaining traction. People are getting more aware of the need to reduce the carbon footprint.
Last year consumers spent £ 41 billion on goods or services deemed environmentally friendly or ethical. The perpetual cycle of consumption and over-production relies on the use of natural resources that contributes substantially to environmental degradation. The whole fast fashion value chain, from manufacturing to sale, all play a role in the destruction of ecosystems and increased pollution. Fashion has a sizeable environmental footprint. The products that you use to clean the dishes, floor, laundry, or toilet are the primary sources of water pollution.
2. Why To Use Eco-Friendly Products?
More and more people want to lead a more conscious and sustainable lifestyle and want to be associated with the eco friendly business. The sectors they are more concerned with are fashion, cosmetics, home cleaning agents, and food. A rise in demand for green goods is encouraging businesses to take steps to reduce the environmental impact of the goods that they are selling.
Educated people are trying to reduce and recycle a lot of the waste that they generate. They have realised that the products that they use in their homes cause the most damage to the environment. It has led to a surge in the use of eco-friendly products. These range from biodegradable shoes to recycled plastic credit cards.
3. What Are Organic Products?
The manufacturing of organic products involves sustainable agricultural practices that avoid the usage of harmful chemicals and fertilisers. There are different types of organic products, but the most well-known are food items like certified organic food, organic grocery, organic vegetables, etc. The production of these organic products has to deploy methods that aim at biodiversity conservation. They have to use approved substances and protect natural resources.
4. Types Of Organic Products
Organic products are mainly of three types:
- Organic food products
- Organic clothing
- Organic personal care products
1- Organic Food Products
A different system of agriculture is used in growing nutritious, organic food products preserving the regenerative and reproductive capacity of the soil and giving plants resistance to diseases. In this method, the plant grows naturally and healthily. Most countries have independent bodies to monitor organic cultivation. In India, there is the National Program for Organic Production (NPOP), and in the U.S. it is the USDA. Organic food products are subdivided into 2 sub-categories: Organic food and organic beverages.
2- Organic Food
Fruits and vegetables have the highest insecticide levels, so it's best to buy organic. Some common items which are organically grown are apples, bell peppers, cucumbers, potatoes, etc. Organic dairy and meats can also contain more nutrients like omega 3 fatty acids.
3- Organic Beverages
Organic beverages are those beverages that do not have any artificial flavours, colours, genetic engineering, growth hormones, chemicals, or preservatives, among other things. It is an upcoming sector since people are moving away from sweetened carbonated drinks to healthier alternatives. Organic fruits and vegetable juices are also doing well.
Consumers in the U.S. are more aware of the growing process and insist on certifications like that from the U.S.D.A. This is driving the demand for organic products. The availability of organic drinks with new flavours and ingredients like activated charcoal, turmeric, aloe vera, in attractive biodegradable packaging has also fuelled the demand for these health drinks.
5. What Are Eco-Friendly Products?
Eco-friendly products are those items that do not harm the environment, whether in their manufacture, use, or disposal. They help to preserve the environment by significantly reducing the amount of pollution that they would have otherwise caused. They can be made both from new as well as recycled materials and are labeled as such.
Also Read: Best Honey Brands in India
6. Eco Friendly Products- Types & Examples
Here is a list of some eco-friendly products that cause minimal harm to the environment and people:
- Cloth Napkins: Millions of diapers and napkins are discarded every day after being used only once. However, these products can be made from bamboo or clothes that are then reusable.
- Home-care products: Plant-based home cleaning products have bio-active ingredients such as good enzymes, microbes, and plant-based chemicals, which facilitate natural cleaning. They do not contain harmful chemicals like acid, bleach, or phosphate. The water generated from these products are free from toxin and do not harm the environment.
- Wooden cotton swabs: These are made from birch, and not from plastic; so, they are good for the environment.
- Recycled yarns: Many yarn manufacturers are producing recycled knitting yarns to be used across the supply chain. The aim is to use 100 percent recycled contents and spin the finest quality yarns for use in garments. It will help in the conservation of natural resources and promote sustainability across the value chain.
- Cotton shopping bags: More and more retail outlets are stopping the use of plastic bags that can be used only one time, and are not recyclable. A bag made of cloth or jute is a much better eco-friendly alternative.
- Silicon containers: They are better than using plastic containers to keep food since they are reusable. They can withstand heat up to 400° F in the oven or microwave. You can also keep them in the freezer.
7. Why Switch To Organic Products & Eco Friendly Products?
How green business ideas have become profitable?
From insect-based pet food to recycled plastic bags and biodegradable apparel, sustainable and eco-friendly products are sweeping the consumer markets. Market research in consumer goods has shown that those products which are marked as sustainable, have a much higher growth rate than others. Today’s consumers are just as interested in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), as they are in their products or services.
The world’s biggest online retailer, Amazon joined the bandwagon with the launch of its Climate Pledge Friendly product label. A green industry business is one that uses sustainable materials to build its products. They aim to use as little energy, raw materials, and water as possible while cutting carbon emissions. It finds ways to utilise raw materials and natural resources in an eco-friendly and safe manner.
8. Some Eco-Friendly Business Ideas For New Ventures
An eco-friendly business idea is now seen as a very sound and profitable prospect. That is why even known brands are tweaking their processes to make products that are environment-friendly and sustainable. If you are a budding entrepreneur, here are some options for eco-friendly business ventures:
1- Organic Catering
This business involves catering to various occasions using food that is organically grown. It will be a double bonus if you are a foodie and grow food in your garden. This is mainly targeted at nature lovers and health and wellness enthusiasts, as well as the general public.
If you have a degree or experience in sustainable practices, you can start a practice of eco-consulting. You can share your experience with other industries and improve their functioning. For example, the field of natural lighting is very promising since it saves resources.
3- Organic Cosmetics
More and more people are moving away from artificial products and moving towards natural or herbal alternatives to keep them beautiful. Making cosmetics from natural ingredients is a promising venture for new businessmen. You can also employ poor women from your locality; it will be a great way of giving back to society.
4- Recycling Business
You can start a recycling venture to reduce the wastes that accumulate in landfills.
5- Urban Gardening
With limited space available in big cities, urban gardening is a very viable business option to help city dwellers learn how to grow their kitchen garden. Side by side, you can also start a composting business. For example, using earthworms to fertilise the soil, is a great eco-friendly business idea.
To follow an eco-conscious lifestyle, you can take the following simple tips:
- Discard single-use items and use reusable ones. Even small things like using a reusable bag instead of a plastic one when you go shopping can make a difference to the environment.
- Opt for recyclable and sustainable materials. For bedding, clothing, and other textiles, you can look for organic cotton and fibres like Tencel. Buying second-hand clothing is also environmentally responsible.
- Buy products that are certified as green by reputed bodies like EcoCert Cosmos for organic cosmetics, Fair Trademarked items or GreenGuard endorsed ingredients.
The eco-friendly space in business is experiencing the fastest growth trajectory any new entrepreneur should look into it. Alongside, it also offers you the opportunity to keep our planet green.
|We hope our article turned out to be useful for you. For more such informative content, you can visit these linked articles as well:|
|how to change the name in pan card||how to withdraw pf online with UAN||Documents Required for Udyog Aadhar|
|Baskin Robbins Franchise cost in India||Chai Sutta Bar Franchise cost in India||How to cancel GST registration|
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more!
Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles.
OkCredit is 100% Made in India.