Globalisation has led to the world becoming a smaller place. This has increased the demand for English speaking people because of the ease of communication a common language like English provides. Thus, English speaking coaching businesses have been in high demand in India. Learn how you can start your English speaking coaching institute with this step-by-step guide.
To build trust with your audience and provide them with the best resources, you must ensure you train yourself well. Even though you may be well versed in spoken English, it is important to familiarise yourself to gain in-depth knowledge about the subject.
Knowing a subject and teaching it to someone is very different. Thus, it is best to get training from a reputable institution to upskill yourself. A college degree or a short diploma will help in this case. You can also take up a course on business development alongside English training, to understand the know-how of running a business. These qualifications and certifications will add value to your coaching institute and make it trustworthy.
2. Competition Analysis
Due to the higher demand for English coaching, many new business ideas and companies have emerged. To make your business successful, you need to be better than your competitors. Thus, it is important to do a thorough competition analysis before you start your business.
It includes studying the business models of your competitors, their growth, strategies, etc. This will help you in understanding the current trends in the English coaching institute market. It will also help you know what elements are missing and how your business can provide them. This will give you unique business ideas and will help in the growth of your business.
3. Business Plan
Once you have the necessary qualifications and are ready to start your business, you should start designing a business plan. A business plan is something that defines the identity of your business. The teaching mode, the fee structure, business goals will all be decided and determined in drafting your business plan.
Here are a few things that should be a part of your business plan:
- Business Model: It should explain the kind of business you are running. Coaching institutes can be of various types. You can run a traditional offline business, or an online business, or an app-based business. Your business model should include all aspects of the way in which you plan to offer your services.
- Short-term and Long-term goals: Your business plan should include the goals you have for the growth of your business. This will help you keep track of your progress.
- Investment requirements: Your business plan should also have the amount of capital you will require for starting your business. While many small scale business ideas can be created with zero investment, you should research all your options and choose the one feasible for you.
4. Create Study modules
This is one of the most important steps towards starting your business. A great study module is what distinguishes your business from the others. A study module entails the entire teaching plan of your course and how it will be structured. This will help your potential customers and students understand what they will learn through this course. You can look into the following aspects while building a study module:
- Level: In a subject like spoken English, everyone comes with a different level of challenge. Some require training from the basics; some want to improve their vocabulary, and some need training for understanding foreign accents. Thus, it is necessary to design courses that cater to the needs of everyone. You can offer classes based on different levels, and students can join into the level most useful for them.
- Course Content: Each level will require you to teach different aspects of spoken English. You can divide the entire content into small chunks and allocate hours to it. This course plan will help students understand your pedagogy and plan their self-study accordingly. It also gives an overview of the course and what outcomes can be expected from the course.
- Instructional Design: Gone are the days, where one would only study from books. Today, the science of learning has evolved in so many ways. Creative strategies like group exercises, interactive games, Socratic methods etc., are tools used to make learning more fun and easy to retain. Spoken English is a subject that cannot be learnt through rote learning; thus, incorporating such exercises will improve your output.
- Evaluation: Conducting a thorough assessment of your students is important to understand the impact of your teaching. It would be best if you designed evaluation criteria to understand a student's progress.
These factors will help you in delivering good quality lessons to your students. A well-researched module with innovative techniques will help your business stand out, and your small business ideas will generate a lot of revenue.
5. Market your business
Marketing and branding are crucial for the success of any business today. Marketing helps you reach a much wider audience and gain new customers. You can have the best business ideas, but they will not succeed if you do not market them well. Thus, always invest your time and money in creating a good marketing strategy.
Marketing can be done in two ways. One is the traditional way of newspaper advertisements, flyers, posters, etc. While this method is old, it is still effective. The newer approach is through social media. Create a page of your coaching institute on all social networking sites to reach a wider audience. Since these sites are free, you can save a lot of money as a small business by marketing on social media.
Keep in mind that the goal of all your marketing efforts is to increase your enrollment. Thus, make sure all your marketing activities have a Call To Action (CTA) to enrol in your coaching. Promotional offers, discount codes, and affiliate codes are all good ways to increase your marketing strategy's effectiveness.
6. Accounting and Bookkeeping
An English speaking business can become very hectic and tedious. Because of this, tasks such as managing accounts get ignored. But it is important to keep track of all your expenses, to avoid any financial problems.
If you cannot maintain your accounts, you can use simple tools like OkCredit, which will help you maintain accounts digitally. It will make the process easy and automated, making you free to focus on other aspects of your business.
An English coaching centre can be turned into a big successful business if the right steps are taken. We hope this article helped you in understanding how to start spoken English classes. Don't hesitate and work towards starting your own business today!
1) Best Tips for Customer Retention for a Small Business
2) Tips to Understand Your Market while Starting a Small Business
3) Tips for Businesses to Overcome the Covid Blues - Revival Tips for Businesses
4) What are the keys to success when operating a small scale business?
5) OkCredit: All you need to know about OkCredit & how it works
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more!
Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles.
OkCredit is 100% Made in India.
Q. Why should interactive activities be used to teach spoken English?
Ans. Languages cannot be learnt from books. It requires practice. Interactive activities allow participants to take part in the learning process without making it boring. This helps in better retention of information in both kids and adults.
Q. What kind of interactive activities can be used to teach spoken English?
Ans. Activities like movie watching, translation games, situational games, etc., are some activities that can help in faster learning of spoken English.
Q. Can I earn passive income from this business?
Ans. Passive income refers to income that is generated without any additional effort. And yes, you can earn passive income through a spoken English tutoring business. Online courses are a great way to create passive income. Once you set up a course in online courses, you earn revenue every time someone purchases it.
Q. How much capital will be required to start this business?
Ans. You can start this business with zero capital if you are opting for the online mode. If you are looking at offline coaching, you will require money for location, team, infrastructure, etc.
Q. What qualifications are required?
Ans. You can get a degree in English from a university. If you are looking for something short term, you can do a diploma and attempt exams like TOEFL.