A bright smile can light up a day. As much as we love to dress up and look after our appearance, taking care of oral hygiene is also equally important. In ancient India, all-natural sources took care of oral hygiene. A neem (Azadirachta indica) twig and miswak (Salvadora persica) were the early toothbrushes used in ancient India. Toothpaste like Colgate, Pepsodent, Dabur, Oral-B, Close-up, Sensodyne, and so on have mitigated the oral concerns to a great degree.
With an increased presence of sugar-rich and fast foods in our diets, people are more prone to develop cavities, bleeding gums, and teeth disorders. All dentists make the basic recommendation of brushing twice daily for oral hygiene. But does your toothpaste make a difference? Which one must you choose? India has an endless variety to pick from, and given the varied ingredients, selecting the right toothpaste can be confusing. Here is a list of the top toothpaste brands in India to make your selection process easier.
Top Toothpaste Brands in India
- Indians associate toothpaste with the Colgate brand as it is one of India's most prevalent and widely favoured toothpaste brands.
- Colgate is known across the world for its excellent cleansing and cavity-preventing properties, along with a minty aftertaste. The brand name and its value hold extreme significance for its Indian customers.
- Colgate started as regular fluoride toothpaste, but there have been many alterations and flavours with time.
- Presently, there are 32 varieties of Colgate toothpaste you can select from, depending on your taste and requirements, such as Total Advanced, Charcoal Clean, MaxFresh Peppermint Ice Toothpaste, etc. Among all these, Total Advanced is found to be preferred by most Indians.
- Colgate also has a range of toothpaste for people who suffer from tooth sensitivity like Sensitive® Everyday Protection and herbal formulations for those who prefer natural products over regular ones, like Swarna Vedshakti Natural Toothpaste.
- Close-up is a brand from Hindustan Unilever launched in the early 2000s.
- It was the first brand to introduce gel-based toothpaste, which took the market by storm.
- Children, especially, we’re fascinated by the transparent gel with red crystals, which was another hit in the Indian market.
- The Close-up toothpaste is the first gel-based toothpaste to contain mint crystals, which keeps the mouth fresh for a longer period.
- Close-up, too, has variants designed to address problems like bleeding gums, cavities, bad breath, and yellowing teeth, such as Close-up Triple Fresh Formula Anti Germ Gel Toothpaste Red Hot, Close-up White Attraction Natural Glow Toothpaste, and Close-up White Attraction Natural Smile Toothpaste.
- Pepsodent is another brand from Hindustan Unilever launched in the early 2000s.
- Its aggressive marketing led Pepsodent to capture a major portion of the industry and offer better promises of solving the oral health issues of Indians at a lesser price than its competitors.
- The toothpaste uses various ingredients like herbs, zinc, inactive triclosan, and a micro-granular formula to offer fresher breath and germ-free gums.
- Like others, Pepsodent also introduced various types of other kinds of toothpaste, addressing different concerns with oral hygiene such as Pepsodent Lavang & Salt, Pepsodent Expert Protection Complete, Pepsodent 2 in 1, Pepsodent Expert Gumcare, Pepsodent Whitening, and Pepsodent Germicheck 8 Actions.
- People with tooth sensitivity – an intense tingling sensation in the gums when consuming hot or cold food or beverages – can relate to Sensodyne greatly. The brand has been in India since 1961.
- Many dentists recommend Sensodyne for people with tooth sensitivity over other toothpaste variants. The paste forms a layer of bioglass, known as Novamin, which covers the exposed nerves in the gums and relieves sensitivity.
- The toothpaste is claimed to be highly effective right from the first day of use. Prolonged use of Sensodyne is said to relieve and protect against tooth sensitivity.
- Sensodyne offers three variants for people with sensitive teeth – Repair and Protect, Fresh Gel, and Rapid Relief.
- Oral-B is one of the finer kinds of toothpaste among other brands available in India.
- The ingredients used in Oral-B toothpaste are patented and internationally accepted. Though the brand is primarily invested in making better toothbrushes for utmost deep cleaning and comfort, their toothpaste varieties are equally great.
- Oral-B is excellent for treating oral hygiene, gum difficulties, and tooth decay.
- The brand uses a Stannous Fluoride Complex known to prevent tooth decay and cavities, thereby strengthening teeth and preventing enamel erosion.
- Oral-B has a few varieties like Extra White, Pro-Expert Deep Clean, Gum and Enamel Repair, etc., that you can use as per your dental health needs.
- Meswak is a brand which is owned by Dabur. The multinational company, Dabur, has its roots deep in nature, Ayurveda, and natural resources. Thus, if herbal toothpaste for looking after sensitive teeth is what you need, look no further.
- Meswak is the branch or twig of the toothbrush tree (Salvadora persica). The tree has antiplaque, analgesic, and antibacterial properties, optimal for treating gum problems and maintaining oral hygiene.
- Apart from natural oils, Meswak's toothpaste also contains fluoride, chlorides, flavonoids, silica, and Vitamin C, strengthening the teeth and enamel.
- Meswak is quite different from other kinds of toothpaste, as it does not market the product as a teeth-whitening product, but as a complete oral care paste. Even the taste – reminiscent of pinewood and eucalyptus – is different from other kinds of toothpaste.
- Its natural properties have greatly benefited consumers of Meswak. The brand is a hit among consumers who prefer natural products to chemical or synthetic ones.
7. Dabur Red Toothpaste
- Dabur Red Toothpaste packs a complete punch of natural ingredients which keep you refreshed for a long time. Dabur has developed the Dabur Red Toothpaste as herbal toothpaste for those who prefer the natural way of maintaining oral hygiene.
- Millions of Indians trust Dabur Red toothpaste as it is readily available, affordable, and has a strong taste and fragrance.
- Dabur Red is composed of natural ingredients like cloves, mint, Tomar, and ten other herbal ingredients which keep your gums healthy, whiten teeth and eliminate bad breath.
- Dabur Red is also available in tooth powder. However, its toothpaste is more widely used.
8. Himalaya Herbals
- Himalaya is known for its use of authentic, curated ingredients, making it pricier than its competitors. The toothpaste can also be seen as a form of medicated toothpaste.
- Himalaya Herbals Dental Cream is one of its herbal formulations specially tailored for adults with poor oral hygiene. It specifically treats bleeding gums and plaque, besides cleaning teeth.
- The Dental Cream uses neem, meswak, pomegranate, false black pepper, Triphala, and other ingredients to pack a strong herbal punch to maintain oral hygiene and keep you refreshed.
- The toothpaste Himalaya Complete Care is an advanced toothpaste that not only protects teeth from germs, but also has antioxidants that help protect teeth against free radicals, and helps maintain gums in good health.
The toothpaste industry has always kept protecting the glamorous smiles of Indians throughout generations. The present generation has a variety of toothpaste that suits everybody's likings and addresses a lot of specific oral problems.
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more!
Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles.
OkCredit is 100% Made in India.
Q. How should I choose my toothpaste?
Ans. It is always best to consult a dentist to inspect your oral health and then use their prescribed toothpaste to address your specific issues. Apart from that, if you don't have any severe issues, you can choose any variant from the top toothpaste brands in India, depending on the ingredients and taste that suit you the best.
Q. What are the different types of toothpaste?
Ans. Toothpaste can be classified into a few categories, depending on its usage. There is regular fluoride toothpaste used for cleansing and whitening teeth. Sensitive and medicated kinds of toothpaste address special causes like tooth sensitivity, whitening, bleeding gums, etc. Herbal toothpaste is chemical-free and mostly made of herbs and other natural products.
Q. What is charcoal toothpaste?
Ans. Charcoal toothpaste has recently gained popularity in the market. It is a toothpaste containing activated charcoal, which helps in teeth whitening at a faster rate and also has antibacterial properties.
Q. Is it harmful if toothpaste is ingested?
Ans. No, it is not harmful. The fluoride in toothpaste is toxic only if ingested in huge quantities, which can lead to stomach upset.
Q. What is the right toothpaste for kids?
Ans. It is best to use fluoride toothpaste in a pea-sized amount for children, as they find it difficult to spit out toothpaste. To be on the safe side, it is advised to consult a dentist or use a toothpaste that is dentist-recommended and tested to be safe for use by children.
|We hope our article turned out to be useful for you. For more such informative content, you can visit these linked articles as well:|
|Best Ghee Brands in India||Best Tea Brands in India||Best Gas Stove Brands in India|
|Best Chocolate Brands in India||Best Mattress Brands in India||Best Cycle Brands in India|