What are the key features of the new e-filing portal?
1. All in one website
All tax compliances facilities from registration to tax payments and other tax-related services are provided on a single website.
2. User-friendly dashboard
The new dashboard is easily accessible and provides guidance for all services through blogs and videos. It also contains separate tabs for various types of taxpayers like individuals/HUF, companies, Firms, or bodies other than the company, Tax professionals, and others. Any taxpayer can access the website comfortably and know all details quickly.
3. Tax Genie
The portal also provides a live chat facility with the income tax assistant for any queries. It appears on the bottom-right side of the screen in a round icon.
4. Higher security
The security of the taxpayer data has been increased by adding a secret code box during login.
5. IT Return preparation tools
The new site provides free income tax return preparation tools for every return type in online and offline modes. It also provides an option to download pre-filled XML files, which contains the common data of the assessee and helps to prepare returns. Taxpayers can get benefits from these tools and prepare their returns very easily.
6. Fast Return processing
With the help of a new portal, the income tax return processing has become faster and the refund processing can also be completed in a shorter duration than before.
7. Various Payment options
Now, taxpayers can make payment tax liability with any mode of payment like NEFT/RTGS, Credit/Debit card, Net banking, or UPI.
What is the process for Instant e-PAN?
The new portal of income tax also provides for generating instant e-PAN. The taxpayer must be an Indian citizen, have not been allotted PAN before, and have a valid Aadhaar and Mobile number linked with Aadhar. Minor and Representative assessee can not avail of this service. To get an instant e-PAN, click on the Instant e-PAN option in the ‘Our Services’ tab on the income tax portal’s dashboard. Then click on ‘Get New e-PAN’ > Enter Aadhaar number > select ‘I confirm that’ box > click ‘Continue’. In the next step, read the consent terms > click the ‘I have read the consent terms and agree to proceed further’ box > click ‘Continue’ and OTP will be generated and sent on the Mobile number linked with Aadhaar. Then enter the OTP > click on ‘I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI' box > click ‘Continue’. After validating OTP, the taxpayer's details will be displayed and then after verifying the details, click the ‘I accept that’ box and ‘Continue’. The request will be then submitted successfully, and an acknowledgement number will be generated, and e-PAN will be received on E-mail ID.
What is the process for registration?
If a taxpayer is new to the portal, it needs to get registered first to access any tax-related service. If the taxpayer is already registered, then the portal can be accessed by direct login. For the registration process, one needs a valid PAN, mobile number, current residence address, and email address. The following are to be followed for registration on the new e-filing portal :
- Step - 1:- Visit the website ‘www.incometax.gov.in’
- Step - 2:- On the top-right corner of the portal, log in and Register icons will be there. Click on the register icon.
- Step - 3:- New window will be opened, then the taxpayer is required to provide the details in four stages. These stages are - Get started, Fill Details, Verify Details and Secure your account. In the first stage, enter Permanent Account Number (PAN) in the box under register as a taxpayer and click on ‘Validate’.
- Step - 4:- Once the PAN is validated, click on ‘Continue’ for further process. Then the question will appear on the portal “Please confirm if you want to register as ‘Individual taxpayer’ ”. If the taxpayer is an individual, select ‘Yes, and if the taxpayer is a person other than an individual, select ‘No’. Click on ‘Continue’.
- Step - 5:- In the second stage, enter basic details and contact details into two parts. In the 'Basic Details’ tab, Last name, Middle name, First name, Date of birth, Gender, and Residential status is to be filled in. Then in the ‘Contact Details’ tab, Mobile number, E-mail ID, and to whom it belongs are required to be entered. After entering these details, click on ‘Continue’.
- Step - 6:- Enter the OTPs generated and sent on the Mobile number and E-mail ID provided and click on ‘Continue’.
- Step - 7:- After validating the OTPs, a new window will be opened for the third stage. Verify the details entered and if there is any error, then go back to the previous page, enter the correct details, and again OTPs will be validated.
- Step - 8:- Once the details are verified, set a password and enter it for login. The password should be a combination of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, and special characters. For secured login, enter a personalised message. After entering this, click on ‘Register’, and an acknowledgement number will be generated after a successful registration.
What to do after Login?
Login to the account by entering PAN, password, and confirming personalised message. After logging into the account, profile details are needed to be updated such as personal details, link Aadhar, add Demat account details, bank account details, register DSC, reset E-filing vault higher security, secure access message, generate static password, aadhar OTP login, source of income, authorised signatory, the representative assessee, and Portuguese civil code applicability. Once the profile is updated fully, taxpayers can access all the services of the portal. If the profile is not completed, only a few services, such as file returns, e-verify returns, file forms, and other services.
How to E-file Return?
To file the IT Return, after login click on the e-file > Income Tax Return > File Income Tax Return. A new window will be opened, then select Assessment year, Filing Type, if required to get audited u/s 44AB - select ‘Yes’ else ‘No’, select ITR Type, and after that mode of Return preparation will be asked. ITR type applicable to taxpayers can be known from utilities available on the main dashboard if the return is to be prepared through offline mode, and if the return is to be prepared through online mode, the portal itself asks for the income details and suggests the ITR type applicable. Offline utilities can be downloaded from the main dashboard of the income tax portal in the ‘Downloads’ tab. Once the return is prepared, then the XML file needs to be uploaded and if the taxpayer is required to sign the return through DSC (Digital Signature Certificate), the signed XML file also needs to be uploaded. After uploading the required file/s, the portal also asks for generating Aadhar OTP to e-verify the return for taxpayers whose return is not required to be signed through DSC. After validating the OTP, the ‘Submit’ button needs to be clicked, and the return will be filed successfully.
How to E-verify Return?
Taxpayers need to first login into their account, then click on the ‘Services’ tab on the dashboard > select ‘Generate Electronic Verification Code (EVC)’. On the next page, select the PAN for which return is to be e-verified and click on ‘Continue’. EVC can be generated in three ways. The first one is through Net Banking, the second is through Bank Account, and the third is through Demat Account for which PAN must be linked with bank account.
Therefore, the updated version of the income tax portal provides more benefits and makes tax compliances easier. Any taxpayer can access the website comfortably and know all details quickly.
1) What Happens to Indian's Tax Money after Payment?
2) Top-10 Highest Tax Paying States in India
3) Why Do We Pay Income Tax in India? Importance, Applicability & more
4) Types of Direct & Indirect Taxes in India
5) OkCredit: All you need to know about OkCredit & how it works.
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more!
Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles.
OkCredit is 100% Made in India.
Q. Who launched the new income tax portal?
Ans. The government of India’s Central Board of Direct Taxes launched the new income tax portal.
Q. Is it necessary to e-verify the return through the portal?
Ans. If the return is already e-verified through Aadhar OTP, then there is no need to do it again. Otherwise, you will have to send the physical ITR-V.
Q. What are the other services available on the portal?
Ans. There are other services also, like e-pay Tax, track status of filed returns, know TAN details, verify PAN details, File Income Tax Forms, e-proceedings, view tax credit(26AS), request for refund re-issue, request for intimations, lodge grievances online, and others. The guidance/ Instructions for different tasks are provided on the portal for easy reference. The latest news and e-campaigns are also provided on the portal for updates.