Why Should You Consider Business Ideas In Kolkata?
Over the years, businesses have shown significant changes, and the style of doing these businesses has changed significantly. Now, there is no need for heavy investment to start businesses; you can easily grow your business with good ideas and little efforts. If you ever dreamt of having your business but do not have enough funds, then small business ideas offer the best solution to your problems. They have gained a lot of importance due to the introduction of the internet for business activities.
There are many benefits of starting a business in Kolkata:
- The demand for local and traditional handcrafted products have increased a lot, and nowadays, tourists prefer local Bengali handicraft products over factory-made products.
- Business ideas are easy to set up in Kolkata due to lesser government involvement.
- Kolkata is a very famous tourist destination, so the chances of business growth are high.
Best Business Ideas In Kolkata
This article will provide you with tips and tricks to manage the best business ideas in Kolkata efficiently.
1. Tours and Travel Business
Kolkata, because of its rich history and beautiful infrastructure, often attracts many tourists every year. These tourists usually hire travel agents to book hotel rooms, flight tickets and visit local tourist attractions. Travel business is one of the most profitable small business ideas in Kolkata due to the West Bengal government's constant support and ever-increasing visitors.
- Build an online website for your agency as most of the visitors make the bookings online.
- Create specialised tour packages for customers and try arranging a guide to explain the rich history of Kolkata.
- Hire some experienced tourist guides and vehicles to provide tourists with a memorable experience.
Also Read: How to start tour and travel business?
2. Bridal Showroom
Every Indian family likes spending on wedding occasions, so opening a bridal showroom is always a profitable idea. Families in Kolkata are often considered some of India's wealthiest families who like spending on weddings, especially clothes. Kolkata is home to many unmarried people, so this business's chances to grow are high.
- Focus on new fashion trends on wedding occasions.
- Hire specialised salespeople to help couples select the best wedding attire.
- Connect with a tailor to provide couples with minor adjustments as soon as possible.
3. Traditional Music Centre
Traditional music is the heart of Kolkata, and local people like to indulge in learning music and instruments. So, opening a music school in Kolkata is a high return business idea as local people would love to involve themselves in music-related activities.
- You need to hire some traditional music artists to teach students.
- Arrange artists who can teach local musical instruments like sitar and flute to students.
4. Coaching Classes
Starting a coaching class is one of the profitable business ideas in Kolkata that requires very less investment. You can quickly start it in any room of your house and save on the majority of costs. This business is directly related to the country's future, and so you must provide the best quality education and coaching to students.
- It is important to decide the classes you will be targeting in your coaching centre.
- Hire some experienced teachers to provide students with the best education services.
- Spend on promotion to showcase your results and increase the number of students.
Also Read: How to coaching institute?
5. Paintings and Art Pieces
If you are a local artist or painter, then this is perfect amongst business ideas in Kolkata. There is a high demand for paintings and other art pieces by the tourists and local people in Kolkata. The amount of profits in this business is entirely dependent upon the quality of paintings and art pieces. This business can help you become famous and earn a good amount of money.
- Traditional portraits and paintings are preferred a lot by both tourists and the local crowd. So, try focusing on traditional paintings.
- You can even collaborate with art galleries to sell your paintings and art pieces.
Also Read: How to open an art gallery?
6. Automobile Service Centres
The automobile sector is a developing industry in Bengal, especially in Kolkata. With Kolkata being a famous tourist attraction, it is continuously experiencing growth in the number of commercial and local vehicles. However, the place still has very few service centres to take care of vehicles. Starting a proper automobile service centre is a profitable business ideas in Kolkata.
- Try opening a service centre in a high-traffic area like near a petrol pump to attract customers.
- It is important to hire some skilled workers who have experience working in the automobile industry.
- An initial investment in promotional services is essential to attract customers.
Also Read: How to open an automobile repair shop?
7. Sweets Shop
If you are a good cook, then such small business ideas are perfect for you. People in Kolkata have a sweet tooth, and they love eating local sweets like rasgullas, ladoos, etc., so this is a high return business. You can easily start a sweets shop in Kolkata to attract tourists and local visitors. Though the competition in the sweets business is high, the profit is in your hands; the better its taste, the more profit you can make from it.
- Completing necessary legal documentation with government agencies is important for the survival of this business.
- Complete registration with any recognised food inspection agency to certify the safety of your products.
- Work on the taste of your products as it is the most crucial part of this business.
8. Traditional Jewellery
It is another small business idea that attracts a lot of tourists. Some business ideas in Kolkata like- traditional jewellery are always on the shopping list of tourists, especially females. This business is where you have to keep yourself updated with recent fashion trends in the market. You can easily make jewellery pieces like earrings and necklaces using colourful beads and other stones to sell through local shops. There is a lot of demand for traditional jewellery in Kolkata.
- You can keep yourself updated with newer trends in jewellery using applications like google trends.
- Always keep some local traditional touch in the jewellery pieces as such pieces are preferred by tourists.
- Collaborate with local jewellery shops to sell your products.
Also Read: How to start jewellery making business?
9. Textile Business
The textile industry is one of the best growing local business ideas in Kolkata. Kolkata textile has always been Kolkata's biggest tourist attraction, and a lot of tourists like to buy traditional clothes from local stores. The return on investment entirely depends upon the initial investment that you plan to make in this business.
- There are various business models to choose from in this industry. So, select your business model very carefully, keeping in mind the initial investment you can make.
- You can start your textile business ideas in Kolkata as a wholesaler by sourcing various fabric materials and selling them to local textile shops in Kolkata.
- Focus more on traditional clothing as tourists like buying traditional clothes in Kolkata.
Also Read: How to start textile recycling business?
10. Photography Studio
We have already stated the importance of weddings in Kolkata, and a lot of couples prefer hiring professional photographers and videographers to capture these beautiful memories. If you have good photography skills, then with little investment, you can earn high returns as people hire photographers for pre-wedding shoots, family occasions, birthdays, and many more occasions.
- An initial investment in a good camera, computer and other equipment is needed to start this business.
- You can collaborate with wedding planners to get more clients.
There are various business ideas to start in Kolkata, and these are some of the best ones to consider. Always look for a business idea that matches your skills and passion so that you can provide visitors and the local crowd with high-quality products and services.
Also Read: How to start a photo studio?
1) Top-10 Most Popular Business Ideas for Uttar Pradesh
2) Top-10 Business Ideas for Madhya Pradesh
3) Top-10 Business Ideas for Maharashtra
4) OkCredit: All you need to know about OkCredit & how it works.
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more!
Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles. OkCredit is 100% Made in India.
Q. Which business is the best to start in Kolkata?
Ans. Any business related to weddings is a good business to start in Kolkata because of the families' spending capacity.
Q. Do I need to have a physical store to start a business?
Ans. With the introduction of the internet, nowadays there is no need for a physical store. You can quickly start an online business before investing in a physical store.
Q. What is the average cost of maintaining a small business in Kolkata?
Ans. The maintenance cost of the business is dependent upon the industry or the nature of the business. The cost of maintaining a business in Kolkata can be as low as 5000 per month, including rent and other permanent expenses.