Someone said you cannot learn sales in marketing classes. You cannot learn business management unless you are a part of it. And you cannot learn the intricacies of running a business until you truly run it. Are you planning to start an online marketing business? If you said yes, here is all you need to know about it.
Aspiring entrepreneurs are constantly seeking new business ideas. However, the majority of the business ideas they come across, no matter how lucrative they might sound, end up being a money-sucking project. High overhead cost, low-profit margins, and slow scalability are the major factors behind the failure of such business ideas.
Nevertheless, an online business can prove to be a perfect start for individuals who have tight budgets and low risk-taking intentions. Online business ideas are appealing because they are safe, involve lesser risk, and give excellent exposure to budding entrepreneurs. You see, the possibilities here are endless, and you can start your venture with minimal investment.
One such immensely promising business idea is an online marketing business. You see, companies do not get enough time to refine their marketing strategies according to changing trends. Hence, they look forward to outsourcing this task to online marketing companies.
The best part is, many leading brands have now come forward to try the marketing tactics of young entrepreneurs. And it has impressively boosted their sales, improved brand visibility, and enhanced organic website traffic.
Furthermore, this business is free from the traditional business hurdles and is one of the best business ideas for fledgeling entrepreneurs in today's time. So without much ado, let us figure out what you need to do to start an online marketing business.
Advantages of starting an Online Marketing Business?
- Online marketing business can prove to be the most economical business idea so far
- Offers incredible scalability
- It is a creative business idea that has immense potential to grow
- The sky's the limit for profit margins
- It gives you access to global markets
Steps to Start an Online Marketing Business?
Here are the steps to start a business online. Make sure you go through it carefully. Skipping any step can cost you dearly in the long run. So what are you waiting for? Get the ball rolling, fellas!
1. Conduct a market research
Conducting meticulous market research is a great way to kickstart your online marketing business. But why is that so? It will help you in:
- Strengthening your business position
- Minimising any potential investment risk
- Studying emerging market trends
- Identifying underlying threats and opportunities
- Facilitating strategic planning
2. Identify your target market
Before you begin pitching to potential clients, it is crucial to determine who can be your ideal customers. Things will smoothen up once you identify who you will serve. You can target:
- Industry (education, media, healthcare, etc.)
- Business Model (local companies, SaaS, service companies, etc.)
- Company Size (Fortune 500, SMB, etc.)
3. What will be your USP?
Apart from identifying your target audience, it is also crucial to determine the nook or niche of your venture. One of the biggest mistakes that entrepreneurs make here is to present themselves as a full service from day one. If you are also one of them, it can be lethal for your business. You might not have ample funds initially to hire experts in each area of online marketing.
Accepting orders and doing a mediocre job is going to ward away both your clients and prospects. Therefore, you should start with one specialisation that you are best at. You can gradually expand your services once you have the expert panel onboard to handle clients.
4. Set goals and budget
Setting your business goals and budget will help you in taking it in the right direction. It will help you in defining what you want to accomplish in the coming years. However, make sure your goals are specific, attainable, measurable, time-based, and relevant.
Similarly, budgeting is also very crucial when you start a business venture. Make sure you have a decent scope for branding and business development initiatives. As far as extra expenses are concerned, you always have an option to apply for a business loan.
5. Get a hold of the top online marketing strategies and tools
You are going to present yourself as a seasoned online marketing business brand in the market. Therefore, make sure you have an excellent understanding of the top online marketing strategies. Let us have a look at the top three online marketing strategies and tools that are trending in 2021.
- Search Engine Optimisation – Many brands look forward to booking a place in the top search engine results. It boosts their online visibility and conversion rates. SEO is a powerful online marketing tool, and you should have a good hold on its basics.
- Content Marketing – Content is the soul of any marketing campaign. And you need to ace this art if you wish to succeed in this business. Make sure you have a team of the best content writers who are agile enough to mould the content as per the client's demand. Apart from this, they should also have a sharp business acumen to understand the changing online marketing trends.
- Social media marketing – Around 71% of the brands in India use social media platforms to market their products and services. However, most of them connect with a professional online marketing agency to get the most out of these features. You should also train your staff to attract maximum customers.
- Other tools – Do you wish to start your online marketing business with a bang? If yes, make sure you have a good hold on SEM, A/B testing, website optimisation, marketing analytics and video marketing. Apart from these, email marketing, affiliate marketing, CMS, and marketing automation are also crucial tools that will help in expanding your clientele.
6. Develop your brand
It is high time you build a unique brand identity for your business. Please understand that brand development is beyond logo and design. Here are a few things to take care of in this process:
- Go for a logo that will define the purpose of your brand
- Find inspiration online
- Pay special attention to colour and font
- Consider creating a visual salience with a colour dash
- Be unique and think out-of-box
- Also, keep an eye on the competitor
7. Choose the right marketing avenues
Now, since you know your target audience and niche, it is the right time to start attracting customers. Finding the right promotion channels is crucial for the success of your online marketing business. Here are some top modes of marketing for you:
- Social media platforms
- Email marketing
- Video marketing
- Influencer marketing
- Networking events
Make sure you understand the pros and cons of every marketing medium before you invest in them.
8. Employ workforce
How to do online business like a pro? You see, handling online marketing projects is not an easy task. You need to have excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, along with sharp business acumen. You cannot afford to let go of a single client.
Therefore, you should collaborate with professionals who have expertise in this industry. Having a team of experienced and technically qualified professionals on board will help you immensely in cracking deals. You can collaborate with HR consultants to get the best people in your team. Apart from this, you can also hire people through direct interviews.
9. Nurture loyal customers
Your clients are the key to the sustainability and success of such small profitable business ideas. Therefore, you should make efforts to nurture your existing customers and keep enticing new ones.
Providing excellent customer services will keep the clients coming back to you. It will also give your brand an edge in the competition. Here are some simple tips to create brand loyalty in your customers:
- Make sure you stay in touch with your customers through blogs, social media or any other way
- Be prompt with your project deliveries
- Don't forget to listen to your customers
- Use complaints and feedback to refine your working systems
Last but not least, it is crucial to monitor and review your business strategies regularly. So, this was all about how to start a business in India. Keep finding inspirations around you and the top market players. Although it might take some time to take off, when things are done right, the sky's the limit for your success. Good Luck.
1) How Small Businesses Afford Digital Marketing?
2) How to Use Google Adwords for Digital Marketing?
3) What is Digital Marketing? Scope, Opportunities & more
4) Digitalisation - The next step in the evolution of Digital India
5) OkCredit: Simple, Paperless & Secure solution for businesses
Q. What are the popular online marketing tools?
Ans. SEM, A/B testing, website optimisation, marketing analytics, video marketing, email marketing, affiliate marketing, CMS, and marketing automation are the top marketing tools in 2021.
Q. How can I prevent myself from giving a mediocre performance?
Ans. Identify your USP and work on it first. Avoid expanding in every direction. One step at a time is the key to give outstanding results every time.