Lakshadweep Islands are a group of 36 islands situated near the coast of Kerala in the Arabian Sea. Lakshadweep is famous for tourism and is flocked with plenty of visitors round the year. As the islands are closer to Kerala, there is a relatable influence on the islands’ food and culture. The cuisine of Lakshadweep islands is highly dominated by coconut and seafood.
As the islands are known for a variety of flora and fauna, there is a usage of numerous spices in food preparation. One can find many kinds of seafood like crab, prawns, lobsters, fish and squid in these islands.
Variety Of Food in Lakshadweep
- People living in these islands like to eat rice very much. Apart from seafood and coconut, rice is the second most favourite food of Lakshadweep inhabitants.
- The island has a wide seafood platter, and it is a feast of flavours for seafood lovers. Food like crabs, seaweed, octopus, squid and prawns are offered here. The dishes are cooked in the conventional ways of roasting and steaming.
- Malabar spices are primarily used in the dishes prepared here. Coconut milk is also a key ingredient in most of the dishes made here. Rice paste is also used in dishes like dosas and idlis made here, mostly for breakfast.
- The Lakshadweep islands share a striking resemblance with the Kerala style of cooking. The dishes prepared have a dash of coconut in them. Some famous dishes to eat here are Rayereha (red tuna curry), Malabar parotta, Sanath (coconut-based curry), and Kadalakka (sweets made from ground rice and pulses with sugar) are one of the famous sweets of these islands.
Street food of Lakshadweep Islands
Seafood and the aroma of coconut and Malabar spices dominate the cuisine offered in the Lakshadweep islands. Some of the famous local food of these islands are as follows:
1. Octopus Fry:
Octopus fry is a famous dish prepared here. This dish is made by adding green chillies, garlic and salt to baby octopus. A sauce is prepared from the above-mentioned herbs and then served with the fried octopus.
2. Mus Kavaab:
Mus Kavaab is one of the sought after delicacies of the island. It is prepared from boneless fish - mus which is further marinated with a paste made from coconut, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, cardamoms and cloves. After that, these chunks are cooked along with onions, tomato and tossed with curry leaves.
3. Fish Tikka
For seafood lovers, fish tikka is a must. And here in Lakshadweep, it is an awesome delicacy. Fish is first washed and cleaned with running water, and then it is marinated with spices like chilli, ginger, garlic and cloves and salt. It is then set to be grilled in a tandoor or on a griller and then served hot to appease your tastebuds.
4. Fish Pakora:
Fish pakora is yet another popular street dish here. It is made with boneless fish marinated with salt and then fried in oil by making a gram flour, turmeric, and salt batter.
5. Maasu Podichath
Maasu refers to dried tuna. Maasu podichath is a typical dish of Lakshadweep islands. It is prepared by cutting dried fish into small pieces and then blended with shredded coconut, onion, garlic chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. It is served best with either rice or roti.
How to start a business of Lakshadweep street foods anywhere?
- Lakshadweep islands’ cuisine is bliss for seafood lovers, especially because seafood is available in abundance here.
- Therefore the eating joints would hit the chord with seafood lovers.
- Before deciding to start the venture of foods of Lakshadweep islands, few pointers should be attended beforehand.
- Place: One should start the business where a significant strata of demography is interested in seafood or have an inclination towards seafood.
- Availability of seafood: The major factor in starting the business of seafood is their availability. If the owners can procure fresh seafood from the island itself, the venture will be successful instantly.
- Finance: To start this venture, one can either procure business/ small and medium enterprise loans facilitated by India’s Government.
Parameters ensuring the success of venture of seafood anywhere in India
- Taste: Taste is the essential parameter deciding the success of Lakshadweep seafood venture. If the taste of the prepared dishes is good, people will be flocking towards this eatery.
- Freshness of seafood: If the seafood procured are fresh, then the dishes prepared from them will be sumptuous.
- Create a website for your eatery venture: A digital presence is a must in today’s technology world. If the eatery has a good website, it will connect to many audiences who can order from them online.
- Social Media: Social media platforms have come as a great help for small and medium business owners. It is a good and easy way to connect to many customers through social media handles like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Use innovative strategies to promote your seafood venture: In the long run, some effective, innovative strategies will come to rescue and provide sustainability for the venture.
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more!
Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles.
OkCredit is 100% Made in India.
FAQs on street food of Lakshadweep
Q. What is the main food in Lakshadweep?
Ans. Lakshadweep is famous for its seafood and coconut-based recipes. It has a similarity in its cuisine with nearby Kerala. Malabar spices are used in every dish prepared in these islands.
Q. Is octopus fry a popular dish in Lakshadweep?
Ans. Octopus fry is a famous dish of Lakshadweep islands. It is made from baby octopus and by adding spices like chilli powder, turmeric and ginger garlic paste. This dish can be found in most of the Lakshadweep eateries.
Q. Is Maasu a fish?
Ans. Maasu means dried tuna. It is easily available in the Lakshadweep islands. Maasu podichath is a famous dish prepared from dried tuna.
Q. Can we get the Lakshadweep seafood anywhere?
Ans. Though it is difficult to get fresh seafood in any part of the country, still, due to improved logistics, we can get seafood.
Q. Is it easy and convenient to start a business of Lakshadweep seafood anywhere?
Ans. Yes, in today’s technology world, it is easy to start a Lakshadweep seafood business anywhere in India. But we still cannot ensure how successful the venture will turn out.
|We hope our article turned out to be useful for you. For more such informative content, you can visit these linked articles as well:|
|Famous Street Food of Meghalaya||Famous Street Food of Tripura||Famous Street Food of Odisha|
|Famous Street Food of Rajasthan||Famous Street Food of Punjab||Famous Street Food of Himachal Pradesh|